Friday, April 28, 2017

2017 Bowman Is Out, Time To Open A Pack...

...a repack that is.


Sorry for the clickbait title, I know Bowman just came out and many want to see how it is this year (mainly because nobody wants to buy the stuff themselves) but I'm afraid I haven't purchased any packs.

Mainly because I'm not interested in too many of the cards. A quick look through the checklists reveal much of why I've slowed down on collecting Bowman, so many repeaters. Sure you've got new names who finally got their first cards like Blake Rutherford or Jason Groome, but overall, I'm not sure I want to spend more than a dime each of the base cards.

Before we get to the repack, I just want to insert two quick blurbs about the autograph checklist. Firs the Chrome autographs, and then the retail-only paper autographs. The latter is what I consider to be more intriguing.


The Chrome autograph checklist is very good, if you want my opinion, the key names to look out for would be Blake Rutherford (NYY), Jason Groome (BOS), Gleyber Torres (NYY), Christian Arroyo (SF), Anderson Espinoza (SD), Ronald Acuna (ATL), Triston McKenzie (CLE), Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (TOR), Eloy Jimenez (CHC), Kevin Maitan (ATL), Nick Senzel (CIN), Thomas Szapucki (NYM) and Mickey Moniak (PHI). Many of these autographs are already selling for triple digits, woof.

But to be honest, what I like more are the names included in the retail-paper auto checklist. Almost all of them are solid names that I'd be more than glad to pull but the ones I'm especially going to after in the future are Juan De Paula (NYY), Edwin Rios (LAD) and Mitchell White (LAD) if they ever surface. Other key names to look for in retail would be Dietrich Enns (NYY), Jorge Mateo (NYY), Josh Rogers (NYY), A.J. Puk (OAK), Greg Allen (CLE), Nick Senzel (CIN), Sean Newcomb (ATL), Miguelangel Sierra (HOU), Leody Taveras (TEX), Ian Anderson (ATL), and Devin Williams (MIL).

I'm going to especially go after the De Paula because acquiring that (and a Jio Orozco USA card) would finally give me both of the prospects the Yankees got in the Ben Gamel trade.


Right so with the Bowman stuff out of the way, let's get back to that repack.

It'd been a good, I dunno, 2-ish(?) months since I last bought a pack of baseball cards. This caught my eye and I wanted it against my better judgement. I can cast a lot of that blame on the first card staring out at the world through the repack.


This pink 2016 Donruss card of Kevin Kiermaier. No it's not anything special. It's quite ugly from a design standpoint, but the photograph is tremendous. It's a night shot at Yankee Stadium, Kiermaier is about to enter the visitor's dugout and from the looks of it is about to toss a ball into the stands (probably for a young fan to receive). It's obvious that the Rays logo has been photoshopped off of the uniform, but from this angle, you could argue it doesn't matter. I got a TTM return from Kiermaier last year and I'm tempted to try and send this out to him. How sweet would this cool photograph and pink parallel look with ink?


Following the Kiermaier was an onslaught of 2012 Topps. No complaints, I still remember 2012 as if it were just yesterday and not at all FIVE YEARS ago. Ironically I was listening to my old playlist from 2012 right when I was opening this repack. 2012 Topps coupled with Kanye West's Mercy, BOOM, instant flashback to 2012.

lamborghini mercy (swerve), your chick she so thirsty (swerve)


After 2012 we went to, 2015?


Don't be fooled. These are all team set issued cards. These repacks are always good for at least one of these team set cards.


This A-Rod was the seventh one I scanned separately, because the CEO of A-Rod Corp deserves his own scan.


There were two players who appeared thrice in this repack. The first was Danny Gladden.


The other was HoFer Ryan Sandberg. Who I scanned along with the other obligatory junk wax HoFers Tony Gwynn, Tom Glavine and Jack Morris (who's not a HoF yet but he's pretty much getting in via the Veteran's Committee).


There were no prospects cards in the modern sense but there were these prospect cards from the 90's, made by Classic Best.


Junk wax sure can supply some fun pictures.


All Stars from days of yore.


Horizontal fun!


I managed to pull an autograph of Ricky Bones. A righty who spent a pretty okay career as a big leaguer for teams like the Brewers and Yankees. Now he's part of the Mets coaching staff.


A miscut Donruss 91 card of Pirates Brewers legend Dave Parker.


The Tom And The Lawless


Rookie cards of unknowns who faded shortly after receiving these rookie cards. Scahill is still hustling in the Brewers org while Kieschnick has been out of professional ball since 2016.


Woof, throwbacks to the Yankees dynasty.


These All-Time Greats cards are nice and everything but I'm very disappointed I wasn't able to acquire the Jack Chesbro card in this set. He's better than either of these two.


Ending off this surprisingly good repack is this Darnell Coles, this is significant to me because Coles later went on to play for the Chunichi Dragons.

And that was a repack. All told I thought it was a very fun break. I hit an autograph, I got a new A-Rod for my collection, a new Gaijin Dragon, some nice trade fodder, and a nice Kiermaier card.


As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

10 comments:

  1. Solid repack overall, but I came here for the click bait title. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Former Pittsburgh Pirate great Rob Scahill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, how could've I forgotten such a memorable Pirates tenure?

      Delete
  3. Not bad at all. You did better than my most recent. The auto is from a good set, versus a lot of the random ones I've seen, so that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went crazy for Bowman In 2006 and subsequently have binders full of washed up prospects.Great looking cards,though,especially the chrome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that's the first Russ Davis I've seen in a blog post!

    ReplyDelete